Generally, a health care facility is the kind of place that provides an all-around health care. For most people, an ideal health care facility must convey a welcoming, caring, and comfortable atmosphere that is conducive to a patient’s wellbeing. Whether big or small, it is a very busy working environment. In order for patients to be well entertained the moment they step inside the facility, a health care receptionist is there to serve the patient’s initial needs. In most clinics, the receptionist is the first person that a patient will interact with over the phone or upon arriving at a medical facility.A health care receptionist is responsible for greeting patients and other people who enter or, otherwise, contact a health care facility. The duties may vary according to the size of the clinic. But the main duty includes transferring calls to the correct person and taking phone messages. She is the mediator between the doctor and the patients. She may also organize the doctor’s office and manages the essential health data of various patients.It is not necessary for a medical receptionist to have a medical background. What is more important is that she can be able to enjoy contentment from a job well done which is helping countless patients to walk out of a health facility with a beautiful smile on their faces. She plays an integral part in shaping the patient’s first impression about the clinic that could help form a patient-provider relationship for long term basis.The role of a medical receptionist is not only limited to answering office telephones, maintain appointment book of physicians, taking appointments, and confirming them. They also have a lot of extra office duties as well just like any other office clerks. They are placed on the front desk of the medical facility because they are entrusted to handle whatever the patient’s and their families’ immediate needs.The job of a health care receptionist is more than what is normally expected. As they deal with varied tasks and with different people everyday, they have to learn the art of proficiency and amiability to be able to excel. Listed below are some of the qualities required to become an effective medical receptionist:• Must be pleasant, impressive and articulate in answering phone calls
• Has the ability to do multi-tasking and can handle numerous incoming calls and walk-in patients at the same time.
• Productive and accurate data entry skills
• Knowledge in computer programs, multi-line phone is an advantage
• Receptionist must be able to learn quickly if she or he does not have any experience on the assigned task.
• Must always be on time and reliable.Remember that health care receptionist plays an important role in the health care business to succeed. The only drawback of a personal receptionist is that she can get tired and will not be able to function properly. However, with the technology we have nowadays, all these tasks can be carried out by a virtual medical receptionist. What is good about this is that physicians will never have to pay for manpower rather go for answering software that can do the work of a medical receptionist more efficiently. Another thing is that there will be no room for exhaustion.